San Diego, CA
March 14, 2015
Band: Pre-recorded music
||The Baby Rose
||Delphiniums and Daisies
||A1 Balance and swing
||Will You Marry Me?
||Double Cat Bounce
A free two-hour workshop for intermediate dancers in the afternoon. We had about a dozen folks.
A brief idea on the program:
- The Baby Rose: Discussion of flourishes in swings, how to end swings, safe flourishes, communicating flourish intent, and how to finish on time for the next move on the dance.
- ABC: Focusing on the courtesy turn, and the courtesy twirl.
- Delphiniums and Daisies: Discussion of allemandes connection and safety, and a bit on heys.
- Melanie's Triplet: Basic contra corners. One hands-six expected contra-like progression in the triplet, so they had a bit of trouble.
- Non-alternating Corners: The alternating version was too much, especially in short sets. The non-alternating version gave more contra corners reinforcement.
- Will You Marry Me?: How to assist other dancers, and look for help in return. Half the dancers were kicked out of the room, then this was taught to the remaining half. Then they had to teach the dance to the others on the fly without using any words.
- Double Cat Bounce: Breaking down a dance in detail, and how to help with the assists and transitions between figures:
- The assist at the top of the A2, where women help the men into the hey, and the women begin with the back loop of the hey.
- The ricochet/swing catch in the A2.
- The momentum shift of the swing/chain at the top of the B1, where the men assist the women into the center as they shift back and to the left.
- Men starting the second hey with the back loop.
- Women catching/leading/assisting their partner into the circle right.
- The circle/allemande transition.